How to Make a Simple Homemade Incubator for Chicks
Are you interested in hatching the fertilized eggs of birds? Take a step towards your interest by making a Homemade Incubator for Chicks. But how to make an incubator?
There are several ways to make an incubator at home. In this article, we try to give some examples of simple and low-cost methods.
Follow how to follow this article and apply these tutorials at home. You can be sure that you will succeed in hatching your birds with a little time and patience.
- Making an incubator with a monolithic box
- To build the device this way, you need the following tools:
- Monolith or carton box;
- Ordinary incandescent lamp head;
- A few pieces of wood;
- Metal mesh with transparent talc;
- humidity meter;
- Water storage container;
We use the box for the body or housing of the device. The lamp also acts as a heat source in this device. Pieces of wood also act as a frame in this device.
Come forward with us step by step to build the desired device in this way:
- Cut the pieces of wood to the size of the monolith box and connect them together as a frame;
- Nail the metal mesh to the frame so that it is firmly pulled;
- Make a small hole the size of a lamp cap on top of an iolite box;
- Adjust the height of the lamp so that the heat does not burn the iolite;
- Make two holes in the side of the box to ventilate the car;
- Place the metal mesh frame at the bottom of the box;
- Also, put a hygrometer and thermometer in the device;
- To make the window, cut the top door of Ionolite and stick transparent talc on it.
Everything is ready to lay eggs; All you have to do is turn on the light and wait a few hours for the device to warm up. Adjust the temperature and humidity and place the eggs inside the machine. Note that the rotation of the chicks during the incubation period in this machine must be done by hand.
Execute the incubator at home in another way
The tools needed to build the device in this way are:
- 25-watt lamp;
- Monolithic refrigerator with door;
- Metal mesh;
- Digital thermometer and hygrometer;
- A container for water;
It should be noted that you can also use cartons instead of monolithic refrigerators. But our suggestion is ice; Because iolite is a good insulator for heat and cold.
Providing these tools to build an incubator will not cost you much. Although you may have some of these simple tools at home; In that case, what is the need to buy them?
Once you have purchased the necessary equipment, follow the steps below with our step:
- Make a hole in the body of the monolith refrigerator with a nail or drill the size of a lamp coil;
- Attach the lamp cap to the body of the refrigerator with the help of adhesive tape. Note that the lamp does not come into contact with the body of the refrigerator;
- Attach the lamp to the head;
- Cover the area around the lamp with a metal net and place the rest of the net on the bottom of the refrigerator;
- Place the hygrometer and thermometer near the eggs;
- Fill the container with water and put the sponge in it;
- Insert the container with the sponge inside it;
- Make a cut in the iolite door as a window and cover it with talc;
- How to make an incubator
- Make a few holes around the iolite body for air to pass through;
- Turn on the machine for 24 hours and then put the eggs in the machine.
It usually takes 21 days for the eggs to hatch. Therefore, record the initial time in your calendar and control the humidity and temperature of your home device daily. Do not forget to spin the eggs at this time. Rotating the eggs has a great effect on their better hatching.
Make an incubator using a carton
The cost of building home incubators is paramount. So if access to Ionolite refrigerators is difficult for you, do not bother. Carton boxes are also a good option for making incubators.
In this method, you must first prepare the following tools:
- Four pieces of wood;
- Plastic net and talc;
- 100-watt incandescent lamp;
- Thermometer and hygrometer;
- Side for water;
If you have the equipment needed to build an incubator, join us step by step:
- Detach one side of the carton;
- Use glue to turn the pieces of wood into a frame for the machine;
- Attach the talc to the frame;
- The frame, along with the talc, acts as the door of the chamber, which can be installed with the help of a hinge on the carton;
- Attach the net to the carton at a distance of a few centimeters from the floor;
- Attach the cap to one of the carton walls;
- Hang the incandescent bulb you have already prepared;
- Fill the container with water and place it on the net;
- Install the thermometer and hygrometer in the carton;
- The machine is ready for incubation.
It is best to leave your device on for 24 hours. When the temperature and humidity are high enough, place the fertilized eggs in the machine and wait for your chicks.
It should be noted that the door of the incubator should not be opened and closed except in emergencies. Because in addition to leaving the temperature and humidity of the device will cause a temperature shock in the eggs.
Of course, during this period, you must have complete and adequate monitoring of the eggs. Rotating the eggs is also one of the most important steps to be taken every few days.
Know a few practical tips
Making incubators at home was explained in the simplest way possible. But it is possible to install more features on your device. Join us and make the following changes to your device if you wish.
- Air must flow inside the device. If you are looking for a uniform distribution of heat and humidity in the device, use the CPU fan. This fan handles air circulation in the device well.
- Atomizers or hot steam generators are an ideal option for providing the moisture needed during incubation. The incubator will make your incubator more professional.
- If you are looking for automatic temperature and humidity control, get help from the incubator board. Of course, digital thermostats also seem to be an ideal option for automatic temperature control.
- We used a lamp to supply the required heat to the device. To increase or decrease the temperature in the device, you must increase or decrease the lamp temperature by changing the lamp voltage. In this case, the dimmer will help you. The temperature of the device can be easily controlled with a dimmer.
Advantages and disadvantages of home incubator
If you are looking to build an incubator at home, you should be aware of the advantages and disadvantages of doing so. The advantage of this incubator with hand-held devices compared to other incubators is its low cost.
It costs less to build home appliances than factory incubators. But there are also disadvantages to incubating with these devices. Let’s take a look at the disadvantages of this method:
- Temperature and humidity control in these devices is very difficult, which is one of the biggest weaknesses of this method;
- Do not work in low temperature and fluctuating places;
- The hatching rate in home incubators is less than 50%.
But with all these disadvantages, controlling and monitoring all the stages of hatching will be very enjoyable. This pleasure is increased when the chickens come out of your hand-held machine safe. That is why many are interested in making incubators.
Execution of incubator at home
With the methods mentioned in this article, you will easily make your own incubator at home. But you should note that the efficiency of these devices is very low compared to factory devices. Therefore, we recommend that you go to factory machines if you do not have the patience to make home incubators.
Do you need special knowledge to build an incubator?
No, by looking at this you can easily build an incubator at home.
How many ways can an incubator be made?
In this, we taught you how to make 3 models of incubators at home, which are among the best and easiest models available.
How many days does it take for the eggs to hatch?
It usually takes 21 days for the eggs inside the incubator to hatch.
Is it possible to adjust the temperature in the home model of incubators?
Yes, here’s how to put one together for use with your home incubator.